the neighbor mows his lawn and the air smells sweet; later, spicy as rain releases the balm of creekside cottonwoods.
thunder rumbles low, a child’s laughter peals. we dance to silly songs and play outside with rocks and sticks.
the sun feels hot on my arms for the first time this season. backlit illumination on the dog’s fur, making her glow.
leaves begin to unfurl, willow and crabapple, currant and gooseberry. the apple tree still in bud, silvery grey and fuzzy.
these are things i hold onto in the midst of this era. the little things that are everything.
cacao cinnamon cashew bites
- 200 g raw cashews
- 400 g medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 C raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp cashew butter
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- place cashews in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until they are relatively ground.
- add the other ingredients and blend until everything comes together. you may need to add a tablespoon or two of water to make this happen.
- roll into tablespoon-sized balls (makes about 24).
- store in a covered container in the fridge.